Hi Listers,

Recent discovery:

The Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-103 optical drive in my G4 Quicksilver 867 will
read up and make proper use of CDs I put in it (usually my game CD at
this point). However, several days ago when I put my Tiger boot/install
DVD in it, after some minutes of "thinking about it," the drive simply
opened up and spit it out. It never showed up on the desktop. Tried
several times, no go. I feel totally "naked" without the ability to be
able to boot from my Tiger DVD/use its Disk Utility if necessary.

So an optical drive's DVD and CD reading ability can die at different
times, huh? :-(

...and it's time for me to get a new one?

Question: if it takes me awhile to replace the optical drive so I can
use my Tiger DVD again, and I suspect it might, will booting from my
Panther CD allow me to use Disk Utility to format/partition an external
and two internal HDs if I have to?

Opinions, please?

Thank you,

~Yersinia.