The problem I was having may have been due to a nearby PCI card
crimping the Apple supplied short mobo ATA cable: I had also mounted
my drive in the top position of the QSs piggyback sled,  for better
air flow.

Of course when trying to debug a sole drive "dropping off the
desktop", you can go different routes: UltraATA (or UltraDMA) drives
not being supported as Cable Select off a Cable Select setup in a QS
2002, according to an Apple manual, was one of the places.

Someone stated (Peter, I believe, if I understood correctly) Apple,
historically,  uses an HP/Compaq patented Startup protocol that
requires the "Cable Select" (slitted) off the mobo ATA cable at
Startup, then, depending on the machine and particular hard drive
specs,  uses whatever the drive is set to (CS/Single/Master/Slave).
(Note: Maxtors & others, are sometimes different from Seagates).

Several links in a chain of IDE channel events, any one of which MAY
break the desired result of a good connection being established AND
then maintained.

As recently suggested, to be on the safe side, I decided upon
returning to using the un-crimped Apple slit  "CS ATA cable" with my
Seagate Ultra ATA(DMA) 750GB 7200.10 drive, jumpered to Master. So
far, the drive has not started clicking, and dropping off the
radar ... which to me could indicate a failing drive and/or a bad
connection. With it being a year old, light use, Seagate, and the
crimped cable, I'm going with it having been a bad connection, for now.

And I am using the symbolically unpleasant terms of Master/Slave to
solve my hard drive dropping dead while over-working issue ...
although I have no Slaves in my household.

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio