On Jun 17, 10:15 am, insightinmind <billycarm...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Someone stated (Peter, I believe, if I understood correctly) Apple,
> historically,  uses an HP/Compaq patented Startup protocol that
> requires the "Cable Select" (slitted) off the mobo ATA cable at
> Startup, then, depending on the machine and particular hard drive
> specs,  uses whatever the drive is set to (CS/Single/Master/Slave).

First the caveat that I am only familiar ... to whatever extent I have
an understanding ... with the hard drive side of this discussion. I
haven't worked with PATA drives in a Mac and I certainly have *never*
worked with a PPC Mac (though I *have* worked on PPC systems so the
PPC is not a complete mystery to me ;-).

What confuses me in the above is the speculation that the hardware
might somehow "require" Cable Select. Support for Cable Select is
mostly about the cable you use. The hardware/controller has a
relatively small part to play.

I'm basing that on what I read in this Wikipedia article which sounds
credible to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment#Cable_select

In particular ...
"Cable select is controlled by pin 28. The host adapter grounds this
pin; if a device sees that the pin is grounded, it becomes the master
device; if it sees that pin 28 is open, the device becomes the slave
device."

and

"Pin 28 is only used to let the drives know their position on the
cable; it is not used by the host when communicating with the drives."

To that I'd add that I can't see any way in which a controller could
"interegate" pin 28 to learn anything about the attached drives. So I
don't see how the hardware could "require" Cable Select in any way.

Bottom line as I see it, there are three reasons why Cable Select
might not work:
1) The drive doesn't support it (correctly).
2) The cable doesn't implement it correctly. (Most likely scenario and
easiest to test for/fix IMO. PATA cables are one big PITA IMHO :)
3) The controller doesn't properly ground Pin 28. (Can't say how
likely or not this might be. Depends on the "age" of the hardware, I
suppose.)

But, then again, I've been wrong before ...

-irrational john