> >The Apple G4 enabler is installed, so do I also need the Sonnet
> >firmware as well?
> >

> I easily installed a similar ZIF upgrade on my B&W.
>
> "You MUST install the Sonnet software before installing your ZIF
> regardless of which OS is installed in your system.  The
> Crescendo/Encore/ZIF G4 software installer installs a Power Macintosh
> G3 firmware patch that is critical to the operation of the processor
> upgrade card in your system;  without the patch, it won't work.  The
> software installer must be run under OS 8.x or 9.x.  NOT Mac OS X nor
> Classoc Mode under OS X.  One the Sonnet installation is complete,
> you may use any compatible Mac OS, including OS X."
>
> (quoted form the manual for the Encore/Zif upgrade.)
>
> Hope this helps.

Larry great help!

This answered the main question. The seller was also very helpful on basic nut
and bolt type issues. I think I can do it now without screwing up the ZIF or
the B/W.

It is a shame Sonnet Tech does not have legacy user/install manuals available.
But then I was never a great supporter of Sonnet processor upgrades. --glen