On Jul 5, 2009, at 11:36 PM, MaGioZal wrote:

> Well, maybe I should write "Apple made a lot of promises about the
> RISC, but
> didn't delivered many of them".
> ;-)

At the risk of restarting the flamewars...it wasn't Apple that didn't
deliver. Apple's promises were real, and the RISC design could deliver
them, but when your chip suppliers see you as a minor side business
taking third or fourth priority to your 'real' business, well, your
chip suppliers tend to treat you like shit.

After all, their thinking went, where are you going to go? It's not
(HA!) like you'll make ANOTHER major change in your strategy, Apple's
committed to the PPC platform, right? It'd be far too disruptive to
their entire product line to switch....look how long it took them to
switch from 68K to PPC and those were similar architectures!

> I remember back in the 90's that in the Spindler era the CISC was
> accused of
> being "an obsolte chip archicteture which cannot expand well,
> differently
> from RISC"...

Well, true, as it stood then, (in particular, the aging 8086-80486
design) it couldn't.

What happened is that Intel adapted a number of RISC-like features
into their CISC designs, which made them competitive. Then they made
significant breakthroughs in getting smaller and smaller (hence lower
and lower power) device sizes.

Intel's modern chips are really hybrids of the two design strategies.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona