On 7/26/09, Len Gerstel <lgers...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Stephen Conrad wrote:
>

>> I am purchasing the following:  Quicksilver G4 800 w/512 MB RAM
>>
>> I have a few questions.
>> What RAM is recommended (so I can purchase some) to max it out?
>
> It will take low density pc133 ram, up to 1.5GB (3 x 512). I have not
> had trouble with ecc ram, but do not get registered ram, that is for
> servers only and will not work in your Mac. The swap list can get you
> sticks for $20 shipped nowadays.
>
>> Best Video card (so I can get one)?
>
> I have hacked Radeon 9600s from G5s in my DAs. A significant
> improvement over the stock GeForces and fully supports Core image in
> 10.5. What are you going to be doing with it? Gaming, Photoshop, Video
> editing, Animating your own anime?
>
>> Also, it has one HD and I want to add a 2nd one.
>>
>> My spare HDs
>>  ===========
>>  Generic 120.0 GB 7200 RPM
>>  Samsung SP0802N (S/N S00JJ40Y371416)   -> Listed on it as "probably
>>  bad" but I'd still check it out
>>  WD Caviar 22500 AT Compatible Intelligent Drive
>>  WD Caviar 12100 EIDE
>>
>> Will any of these work in it?
>>

> Assuming that the machine originally shipped with the 800MHz
> processor, it is a second gen QS and supports large HD out of the box.
> Any ATA/ IDE drive will work, even over 128GB.
>
> What interface is the generic? 120GB is a decent size depending on
> what you want to do

This is the barcode on top of it: 52120924
On the front italso has this:
Capacity: 120.0 GB  7200 RPM
Rating 12V   0.40A  5V   0.50A
On the bottom I have this barcode: 0000 001092-200 J   X W 140J AX1H 5
00 04 2 0   3124

> Samsung SP0802N Probably bad?? Wind chimes or play with the magnets.
> Do not waste time or data on a probably bad drive.

I just was gonna see if it works or not, not try to save data on it

> WD Caviar 22500 or 12100?? 2.5 and 2.0GB respectively. What would you
> do with something that small?

See if they work and then store text file on them perhaps. Not use
them for everyday things like browsing the interweb.
If I have an HD might as well make use of it.  :)

> Depending what you want to do with it, my thoughts:
>
> Go to at least 1GB ram. The jump from 512MB to 1GB is noticeable. The
> jump to 1.5 may or may not be depending on what you do with it.
>
> You probably have the Radeon 7500 in your machine. Sufficient for
> Quartz Extreme, but I don't think it supports Core Image. Try it and
> see if you are satisfied before you go shopping.
>
> The processor is the real bottleneck in this system. The 800 did not
> have a L3 cache and benchmarks out at about the level of a 650MHz with
> L3. You will probably get better bang for the buck by installing a
> Dual 1GHz than installing a better video card. According to the
> Geekbench results in MacTracker, the 800 gets a 419, while the dual
> 1GHz gets an 833 and my DA with a dual 1.2 from OWC and a 9600 pro
> gets a 986.

How hard is it to install this?

--
Steve Conrad
Henrietta, MO 64036

"The time has come for mankind to grow up and leave its cradle behind;
to go forth and claim our place in outer space."
                   - Capt. Henry Gloval

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")