On 15/08/09 11:49 AM, "ah...clem" <boneheads...@gmail.com> wrote:

> freinds, romans, countrymen, i come to praise the G5, not bury them.
> i wonder how many of the posters above who can't wait for Apple to
> abandon the G5 actually understand chip architecture.  i had a G5 for
> high-end computational work.  tasks that take days, weeks, and
> sometimes even months to execute.  unfortunately, it died of a flaky
> logic board.  so as a stop gap, i began using a QS 933, and i grabbed
> the first used intelmac that i came across at a reasonable cost,
> because the newest version of the app i use is intel only.  to my not
> so great surprise, given the exact same task, the single processor QS
> 933 w/ a 133MHz bus speed is still about 25% faster than the core-duo
> intelmac.  maybe, and i mean maybe with a capital MAYBE, the newest
> intel nehalem processors will finally catch up to where the G4 was ten
> years ago, but i'm not holding my breath.  so call me stoopid if you
> like, but i'm buying a used G5 to for $500 to replace the one that
> died instead of a nehalem for $5000.  i'll let all of the "smart"
> folks above shell out their money so they can claim to have the newest
> and best.
>
> ah...clem

As many of us have said in the past, if you have a use for it, then it ain't
dead!  When most of you were already playing around with the PPC
architecture, I was still humbly using my IIsi with it's 20MHz 68030
processor, 17MB of RAM (currently at 64MB) and OS 7.1.  It got me through
university, wedding invitations, tonnes of office work, reports and the
internet (Eudora and Mosaic) all the way through 1999... about 8 solid years
without fail. I declared it in a coma once I got my brand new B&W.  It's
currently packed away.  My B&W gave me about 7 solid years of work and
tinkering (it's now a 500MHz G4 B&W overclocked to 600MHz with 1GB RAM,
120GB of hard drive space, and a 128MB graphic card) until I was able to buy
a brand new G5 Powermac.  The B&W runs Tiger and serves as a file backup
system and iTunes jukebox.  To me, it ain't dead. I find Tiger and Leopard
to be solid OSes. How many more bells and whistles do we really need?  Look
at the Office suites, they've become so bloated.  The early MS Word versions
used only a few MB of RAM to run.  To me there's no need to buy a new Mac
just so I can install Snow Leopard since the G5 is doing just fine.  There
are still lots of apps out there for the PM.