On Aug 30, 2009, at 8:13 PM, diane wrote:

> When I have time I'll redo it.
>
> Any issues with saving a document as a Word doc so the majority of
> the population can open it? Basic bold, italics, tabs and bullets

For absolute safety, stick with the basic Postscript 1.0 fonts: Times,
Helvetica, Symbol. These fonts are either present or have close
analogs on any system that can read a word file; but even those can be
problematic, since Times New Roman is slightly different from Times,
and while Arial is closer, it's still not exactly Helvetica. For 95%
of your correspondence it's just fine, but when neatly formatted
tables start unformatting themselves, it can be a PITA to fix.  One
table is nothing, but when 135 tables and 75 figures in a doctoral
dissertation get screwed up, it can be a significant problem.

Moreover, if you're at all involved in publishing, this stuff can be
more than catastrophic. I was involved with the production of a RPG
book that was heavy on equations, produced in Word's Equation Editor.

Sadly, the authors had used programming notation for multiplication
(*) instead of the standard mathematical notation (x).

The printer's rasterizing software decided to replicate every asterisk
* with this: >|< . Division signs were equally messed up. Every long
bar with a bunch of equations above it and a bunch below got turned
into '/', which, unlike the multiplication snafu, was at least
correct, if much harder to read.

The manuscript was sent to the printer as a Word doc.

This rendered the book pretty much useless, and due to artificially
imposed constraints on the production, only the publisher (who was a
know-nothing idiot, fraud and thief) ever looked at the galleys. Since
he was mathematically illiterate, it went to press that way.
Eventually the authors took to sending the original manuscript,
converted to a PDF as the 'errata' for the book.

So, in my opinion anything fancier than plain text is precisely what
Postscript, TeX and/or PDF as made for.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona