On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 12:46 -0700, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Ralph Green wrote:
> >
> >  In the mid 1970s, we were referring to computers built for home use
> > as
> > PCs or personal computers.  At the computer club I headed at Texas
> > A&M,
> > our club PC was a Southwest Technical Products 6800 based machine.
>

> Language usage, fairly or not, is determined by the cultural usage at
> large among the entire population. New words, slang and other
> linguistic inventions arise from small groups; but when they spread
> among the general population the meaning is that held by the general
> population is the meaning that matters.
>
> Hence 'PC' *now* means 'A system running MS DOS or Windows' as in:
> "Hi, I'm an Mac...And I'm a PC!"
Howdy,
  That is one perspective, but not one I share.  There are many words
that some people use improperly, and hacker is just one example.  See
usage at:
  http://embeddedworkshop.org/?page_id=2

  In person, I often laugh at people who refer to a PC when they mean a
Windows machine.  It is like asking someone whether they drive a Buick,
or an automobile.  It is a silly question and so is asking whether
someone uses a Mac or a PC.  I won't push the point here.  But, I will
continue to use the words correctly.  The attempt to redefine these
words is a sociological point and it does not succeed unless people let
it.  By focusing attention on the correct use of words, I hope to make
people think about what is intended by those who abuse these words.
  I never follow links that are like those tinyurl one.  So, I don't
know what those would have added.  I know you mean well with your
comment, and I hope you see that I do as well.  That is enough off-topic
stuff from me for a while.
Have a great day,
Ralph