Howdy,
  The higher RPM drives are definitely faster.  It does not always make
sense to use them.  They have two negatives.  They usually draw more
power. And, they are hotter.  The extra power is rarely a problem, but
it does come up.  The heat is the real killer.  You should look up the
specs on your old drive and compare them to the new faster drive.  If
the bearings or motor efficiency have been improved, it could be that
the new drive won't put out enough extra heat to be a problem.  And, you
may be prepared to live with the drive dying sooner, in order to get the
increased speed.  I am not saying to always go with the slower drive.  I
just say consider the factors and make the decision that is best for
you.
Good luck,
Ralph