On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Ralph Green <sfrea...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>  The higher RPM drives are definitely faster.  It does not always make
> sense to use them.

Another aspect of upgrading a hard drive that is usually overlooked is
the bit density of the platters. Roughly speaking the newest drives
with the highest densities will usually net you better performance
even at "only" 5400 RPM. The reason being that the drive platter
doesn't have to be moving as fast in order to read/write a large
quantity of data when the bit density of the platter is higher.

Within reason, I would always recommend going with the latest drive
technology with the highest platter bit density that you can get and
worry about 7200 vs 5400 as a lower priority. You'll get more
performance bang for the buck with a higher density platter. And if
you get a large drive that only uses a single platter it is also
likely to use less energy.

Just some thoughts for whatever their worth. I realize that since
you're (I assume) looking a for a PATA 2.5" drive your options are
more limited.

-irrational john