On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Bruce Johnson
<john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Glad it worked. I've had similar issues with other HP scanners, but
> they were older than yours predating OS X, I hoped HP's scattering of
> files all over were limited to their very earliest OS X scanner drivers.
>
> Clearly not the case.

My experience was that the rule among software developers is that once
you find something which you *think* works, you tend to stick with it.
This is especially true for corporate coders.

Since most corporate programmers are insulated from any true customer
feedback or interaction by layers of bureaucracy, they tend to base
their assumptions about what works or does not work pretty much by
what they find in the corporation's code library. The typical rational
goes something like: "Hey, they did it this way the last few times and
it worked then. Let's not rock the boat by changing anything and risk
introducing bugs. Besides, no one will support paying us for a more
extensive change."

Usually it takes a Vista sized seismic event to rattle things enough
to prod them to take another look at "what worked before". That or a
design change required for another reason.  And even then there's no
reason to believe they'll come up with anything better. There is a lot
of pressure from the corporate culture to produce mediocre but
ostensibly functional code that no one can blame you for.

It's an insidious evolutionary process. That's why I fear ... long
term ... for Apple after Steve Jobs passes away. One month after Jobs
is gone Apple will be not that much changed. After one year? Probably
still doing things much the same way. Five years after? Who knows?

-irrationally (??) pessimistic john