Don't you just love troubleshooting these problems Mike ?
I've just had something similar in a Cube.
I ended up stripping it back to bare components and then using another for
spares then trying all the different components. I eventually found the culprit
- an IDE cable that had broken inside the plastic outer sheathing. Impossible
to see of course and only after testing the continuity with a multimeter did I
find out why. I can't complain - it was an inexpensive fix at $10 for a new
cable , just a lot of wasted hours finding the problem.

I'd run your machine on a known good hard drive , one stick of Ram, Apple
keyboard and mouse and nothing else installed and go from there.

Stewie