On Nov 10, 5:08 pm, Jim Scott <jesco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2009, at 4:59 PM, janespra...@comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I have a Ruby Red iMac that i am setting up for a 6 year old. It is G3,
> > 400mhz. I installed a new hard drive and formatted it to 10.4, that's the
> > OS her school runs on their iMacs.)
>
> > I have also installed several learning games that need Classic. However,
> > whenever I try to open one of these, I get a message that  it cant find 9.2
> > to run Classic. I thought i had installed it during the 10.4 installation.
> > Was there a separate option? How can i put in on the iMac now?
>
> > Jane
>
> The 10.4 DVD contains support for Classic, but you will have to install 9.2.2
> separately. Put in a 9.2.x disk while in Tiger, then select it as the startup
> disk in System Preferences and restart. Or restart and hold down the C key.
> Once booted to the OS 9 disk, install 9.2.x and then run Software Update
> until there's nothing left to update. You may find that the firmware needs to
> be updated; if so, consider yourself lucky that 10.4 ran OK.
>
> When you're happy with OS 9.2.2, select OS 10.4 as the startup disk in
> Control Panel, and restart in 10.4. Once there, go to System Preferences,
> select Classic and follow the prompts. One of the options is to always start
> up Classic when the iMac boots into 10.4. That lets you put Classic program
> icons on the desktop, and your little friend will be able to launch those
> apps without any problems. Of course, check them out first since "some" OS 9
> apps don't run very well in Classic. If so, then you'll have lots of fun
> teaching a 6-year-old how to do the old dual-boot dance.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Jim Scott

Jim, I have the CD of 9.0. Held down the C key and booted from the CD.
The install attempt failed. I got a message that said I could not
install 9 on the volume with 10.4 and to choose Options. The choice
there was a Clean install and I don't really know what that entails,
so I quit the installer. What did I miss doing?

The iMac firmware is up to date.

Jane