Addendum: The model number of the Digital Concepts USB interface SD
card reader/writer I described below is CR-35TD-R. Printed on its top
side is this:

Converter Drive
Digital Concepts
SD/MMC
Reader/Writer.

All the best,
stanton

*******

On Nov 26, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Stanton Mitrany wrote:

I also have one of these "Converter Drive" units of the Digital
Concepts brand, which reads and writes both SD and MMC cards. It's
double the width of a USB slot (when there are several in series) but
it's offset to one side in order to take up only one slot's utility if
it's placed at the end of a series of USB slots. It costs either $0.99
or $1.99 at MicroCenter stores (possibly also at <www.microcenter.com>
also) and has worked fine for me for almost a year.

Actually, I purchased a dozen of these tiny units, and have given them
to family and friends as a useful gift. No one has mentioned any
shortcomings with their use. They are USB 2.0 (fast) units.

Stanton

*******