Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Gus <gusr...@comcast.net
> <mailto:gusr...@comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     I have a G3 B&W with USB 1.0.  When they say that USB is backwards
>     compatible, does that mean a USB 2.0 device will work on a 1.0
>     interface, or does that only mean a USB 1.0 Device will work on a USB
>     2.0 Interface.
>
>     I was thinking of getting one of those SD card readers for my B&W and
>     swap it between my dads PC.  (I don't think it will make my mac sick
>     ha ha)..
>
>     Anyways.  Has anyone tried a USB 2.0 device on a B&W G3 1.0 Interface
>     and gotten it to work?

In general it any combination will work.

A computer with a USB 2.0 interface will work with either USB 1.x or 2.0
peripherals.

A computer with a USB 1.x interface will work with USB 1.x peripherals.

A computer with a USB 1.x interface fill often but not always work with
USB 2.0 peripherals.  Things like flash drives, card readers and
harddisks will generally work, just slowly of course.  CD-RW can have
problems burning a disk as USB 1.1 is just fast enough to do it, not
counting the overhead.  I'm pretty sure DVD-RW can't burn a DVD as the
data rate is just too slow.  I have an EyeTV receiver that needs USB 2.0
because of the data rate.  Also some things have problems with power
from USB 1.x computer interfaces, such as iPods.

> Bruce Johnson is the expert. It seems the last time we had the go around
> on this (without searching the LEM archive) he assured me that US2
> function was in the OS and not the hardware IIRC YMMV .

On the computer both the hardware and software must support USB 2.0 in
order to get USB 2.0 functionality with the peripherals.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA