> Probably not good to post any information not needed, but a hardware serial
> number is not likely to prompt Apple to send free software to a pirate.
>
> Also I do not know of any Apple supported downloads for System 7.1 (very
> useful for some 68k Mac's) or any version of MacOS 8. The only version of
> MacOS 9 available I know of is the net boot version at:
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120243>
>
> And that version of OS 9 needs a little help (well documented in the
> archives) to be installed and made operational for the Mac's covered on this
> list. --glen

So, you agree that Apple isn't giving out free software to pirates,
and as already pointed out, MacOS 6.x, 7.x, 8.x through 9.2.x are
available from Apple as a free download. Albeit, two Netboot
extensions have to be removed, either by use of Disk Utility or
Pacifist prior to burning a CD, or by deleting them from the System
Folder/Extensions folder after installation of OS 9 Netboot, in order
to make the OS 9 Netboot install a normal running version of OS 9.
Trivial at best. The point being Mike is just a little paranoid and
overzealous, and is stretching the truth about his conversation with
Apple, while you are also wrong about the MacOS downloads available
from Apple at the link given by Kris, and you acknowledge the
availability of OS 9 at the link you have given (free from Apple, is
it not?). Also, giving out the hardware serial number doesn't
magically empower anyone to anything except, perhaps, hysterical
apoplexy.