thanks, I am going to keep this and follow up on it a step at a time.   Thanks
again.

Robert Long

Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:17:27 -0800
Subject: Re: Upgrade my Ge
From: amanda.w...@comcast.net
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

Re: Upgrade my Ge

Robert,

The B&W is a nice machine... I have two of them.

Lessee... You can max out the ram to 1 GB (4 x 256 MB)

There are some processor options. You can go to an Apple 450 MHz G3. You can
install a 450 MHz G4 CPU from the first gen. G4 machines... the Yikes/PCI
graphics. (Note: Going to a G4 CPU will most likely require a firmware update
to unlock G4 compatibility and it cannot be installed in OS X) There are other
CPUs available from suppliers such as OWC and Sonnet up to 1 GHz. (My twin
Smurfs have the G4/450 CPU and performed admirably)

Hard drives... The B&W has two different motherboards Rev. 1 and Rev. 2. The
Rev. 1 is ===notorious=== for being finicky with anything but the original HD.
The Rev. 2 resolved this problem. (To identify your system see:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html)

The B&W is limited to to a maximum 128 GB, although this can be gotten around
by using an add-on PCI/IDE adapter card. (OR using external USB or Firewire
drives. At one point I had two 500GB USB drives connected.)

Optical drives: Since I upgraded my machines, things may have changed, but at
the time some DVD drives were not bootable in the B&W. Some research would be
prudent. FWIW, I found a Lite-On drive that was bootable and burned all CD/DVD
media. (Lite-On SHOW-1693S)

Graphics: The stock video card had 16 MB VRAM and, in my case, worked just fine
for most purposes. I did upgrade one machine to a Radeon 7500 (I think) w/64MB
VRAM, not so much for the extra video memory, but it had two video outputs and
I love having two displays to work with! ;-)

Wireless: There are some options here... check eBay. I only had wireless on my
B&W for a short period, because a – the network switch was less than a foot
from the machine and b – I needed the card for a peecee I was using for a media
center.

I was using a Netgear card with a driver from OrangeWare (~ $15)... Seemed to
work fine.

That’s about all that comes to mind at the moment... Perhaps more caffeine will
jostle a thought or two loose!

Amanda

My Macs:

Mac SE Superdrive (Sylvester)

Powerbook G3/266 Wallstreet (Waldo)

iMac G3/266 (George)

Powermac B&W G3 w/G4/450 x 2 (Bruce and Bryce)

Powermac G4 Sawtooth 1.6GHz (Gregory)

Powermac G4 GigE dual 450Mhz (Gene)

Powermac G4 Digital Audio 733MHz (Dave)

Powerbook G4 15” Al 1.5GHz (Albert)

iMac G5 20” 1.8GHz (Warren)

iMac Intel 20” Core 2 Dou 2.4 GHz (Irving)