I’m using a 1GB compact flash card as a hard drive in a powerbook
1400, in an adapter (CF->IDE) the size of a 2.5" drive. You could do
the same with a 16GB card, but make sure the speed is high enough for
you. The adapter costs about 15$.

There have been some posts on this topic here, also about using such a
card in a PCMCIA slot (with an adapter).

Another solution: an SD card in an internal card reader.