On 18 Feb 2010, at 22:41:46 PST, deadwinter wrote:

I thought I had a partition for 10.2 and another for OS9.2, but upon
closer examination it looks like I have OS 10.2 and a folder labeled
OS9 applications, OS 9 System, etc.  In the "Startup Disk" control
panel, I can choose that the system use the OS9 system folder, which
will make it boot into OS9, and viceversa.

Can someone enlighten me as to why the previous owner would run it
like this as opposed to there being two separate partitions?  Do I
gain anything?  Lose anything?
Well, I do it both ways on different machines. No real difference in
operation as far as I can see. On my MDD I have 3 physical drives
installed at different times. Thus I had an OS 9 drive before I ever
upgraded to OS X.

On my "new" Pismo, I installed a 4GB HD I had on hand. I installed
10.4.11 and then installed OS 9 on the same drive, no partitions.

Ken
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gt1w/stackomacs