On Feb 21, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Clark Martin wrote:

On Feb 21, 2010, at 12:39 AM, Jake Zeppa wrote:

> > I just picked up a dual 1.25 MDD to replace my slow dual 450 giga. None the less, I've spent the last few hours fighting a problem transferring data from my old drive (80gb WD ata/100), to a Deskstar 80gb ata/100, and I figured it would be best to ask the experts (you guys). The drive that originally came with the computer (Seagate 80gb ata/100) stopped working while transferring data (now it's not recognized by any computer), and the Deskstar has corruption issues now. The drives are set up using the ata/100 bus, both drives set to CS. The computer works great, but somewhere between the two drives when transferring data, everything gets messed up. The original drives data seems fine, and it passes the utility tests, as where the Deskstar now shows errors, and has files I transfered that can't be opened (and a lot of them). Did I screw up somewhere, or could this be a computer problem? I'm open to all suggestions, and I really appreciate the help. Thanks

I ran into something similar recently. First thing is you might try putting the "other" drive on the third ATA bus. Until I got the MDD I didn't know it has 3 ATA busses.

The other thing is the drive that came with it was, I think, an 80Gb Deskstar. While it worked fine in the MDD, it won't work in a Sawtooth (I had a 160 Gb HD from the Sawtooth I use in the MDD now). Of two Firewire drives I've tested it in only one would see it properly. I haven't yet investigated it, it might be a matter of the ATA version.

I CCC'd the 160 Gb over to the 80Gb, reformatted the 160 and copied everything back. I had tried doing it with the two drives on the same bus, that had problems recognizing the drives. I tried putting the 80Gb in a FW enclosure and that didn't work. About then I noticed the 3rd bus, tried that and that worked just fine.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA

The third Bus in the MDD is ata 33 for the optical drive I think that it's too slow for a HDD that's used for anything other than storage.

JOHN CARMONNE
Yorba Linda USA
carmo...@aol,com