On Feb 21, 2010, at 10:49 PM, Bill Christensen wrote:

At 5:01 PM -0500 2/21/10, Samuel Macomber wrote:

with a sledgehammer. Actually I usually take the drive apart, those magnets work great on the fridge. Than smash the remains. Found laptop drive are the best for protecting your data, the platters are plastic so they shatter into a gazillion little pieces.

Some of the 3.5s have plastic platters too. My 8 year old son periodically spends a couple hours taking apart dead drives from my ever-growing collection, and he managed to shatter the platter on one just last week. I don't recall which brand it was but it was large enough that it was probably less than 5 years old.
--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

Im wondering how plastic platters hold data as hard drives are a magnetic based storage medium o.O