On Feb 22, 2010, at 12:36 AM, Dana Collins wrote:

Our old voice phone number was one off from a local lumber company.
Most of the calls were if they were open.  I was awful tempted
sometimes to give them the wrong info.

LOL. I just remembered, my wife's number when she was a teen was one
off of the local pizzeria; when she was feeling particularly
mischievous, (and she recognized the voice, it was a small town) she'd
take the order. :-)

When living in CA, our home was one no. off from a nearby medical practice. One time the inerrant caller was convinced that she had the right no. AND that I was the party (the MD) she was trying to reach- I was so-o-o tempted to pretend I was (well, I AM a Dr., but not that kind) until I found out the
specialty involved was gynecology - definitely wrong no.!
Ah, phone memories....

I had the Mayor's office in New Rochelle, NY. Once a caller accused me of being a secretary trying to dodge calls from constituents :.} Those were the days of Dial-up on my Quadra 840AV, I wonder how many people thought that the Mayor needed more phone lines in his office...