On Feb 27, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Goody2 wrote:

Then plugged the G5 in again and decided to jiggle the cable around.
Sure enough, when the plug is pulled outward (but still seated) it
disconnects.When pushed inward as far as possible there is no problem.
I tried the same maneuver with the second Ethernet port and had
similar results (second port slightly better). Also tried a different
cable; same story.

Are the 2 cables the same brand/ batch?

Might be a bad batch of plugs. Something in the mold when they were made.

I would try a different brand of cable / batch of plugs.

Other thought. The actual contact wires inside the port might be compressed too much and not making contact. On port 1 (the worse of the 2) I would take a bent paperclip and VERY GENTLY try and pull/ bend the internal contacting wires out a little. That should get you good contacts.

Len