On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 5:31 PM, John Carmonne <carmo...@aol.com> wrote:
> I ran the verify and also the repair with Drive Genius 2. Now I'll run
> the integrity Sustained Write test and see what that produces.

It is usally pointed out in situations such as this one that only YOU
know how valuable your data is to you.

If it were me and I had seen a drive failure indication I thought
potentially credible then I wouldn't even look at the icon of a test
program until I had backed up/saved any data I truly valued from that
drive. I certainly wouldn't run any type of sustained test which might
elicit a drive failure until I'd backed up all that I could.

Once the data is "safe", then I'd happily true to beat the crap out of
it with hopes of returning it under warranty. But I'd only do that
after I saved as much of my data as could.

But maybe that's just me.

> I think the drive is about a year and a half old so I wonder about
> Seatate giving me a new one also I don't have the receipt.

The drive manufacturers don't care when you bought the drive.  The
serial number of your drive is used to determine when the warranty on
it expires.

The warranty period is determined based on when the drive was
manufactured. If you go to the support section of the Seagate web site
you'll find a web page there which will let you check the warranty on
your drive. You'll be asked to enter the serial number of your drive
(... and possibly the model number?).

-irrational john