Personally, I think the iPad is great (I actually own one). It's not
perfect, but just like my trusty old Pismo, it does what I need it to
do. The best combo for someone who doesn't need the power of a laptop
everywhere they go (seriously, the iPad is designed for travel) would
be iPad+desktop (preferably Mac).
  My theory is, a laptop would serve like a mobile desktop while
traveling: sitting in a hotel room as a sync station for an iPad and
iPhone. The iPad would be the main web and production (dare I use that
term) machine while mobile, supplanted by the iPhone for fast,
reliable communication. So, desktop, laptop, iPad, and iPhone: each
one has a unique role.
  I've actually tried it, too. I use an iPad exclusively while mobile
at college, and I've found very few instances where I need to use a
desktop, and only one purpose for a laptop (a PC laptop running Ubuntu
for MIDI applications). In fact, for reporting and interviewing (I'm
part of my college's newspaper staff), the iPad definitely blows away
laptops.
  In short, use the iPad as you would a clipboard and paper, and use a
desktop or laptop as you would a writing desk.