On May 23, 2010, at 3:49 PM, JOHN CARMONNE wrote:

On May 23, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

Since the 1v4 has four internal ports and no external ports I assume you're running a internal cable outside as a kludge for eSATA? This won't work because internal SATA cables are unshielded and eSATA requires a different cable that is shielded. The plugs for SATA and eSATA are also different, so if you're using an internal SATA port for an external eSATA connection it won't work. You'll need to get a real eSATA card. I have the Seritek 1v2+2 which has two internal and two external ports.

If you already have a Seritek card with an external port:

Check the firmware.

Seritek cards don't support a rarely used feature called "SSC" (spread spectrum clocking). On the WD HDs this feature is normally disabled and should work with the Seritek card, but it's set via a jumper, and if for some reason the jumper was set then the HD wouldn't work.

I have an external port on one of the slots mounted on the back of the machine and the cable that's attached to it is plugged to the 1V4 card Then I plug in an eSATA cable from the external eSATA port to the WD drive the same as my G4 PM. So you're saying I need another card? What I can do with the last port on the 1V4 card I really need eSATA because I use a portable drive to transfer my DVD library.

This is the unit I have plugged into the 4TH port on my seritek 1V4 card.I have one in my PM G4 also and the drive works properly.

http://www.usb-ware.com/sata-single-internal-esata-adapter.htm

JOHN CARMONNE
Yorba Linda USA
From TiBook 800