On May 24, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Jim Coy wrote:

> I have a Power Mac G5 Quad, and it has been a nightmare since day one. I
> don't mistreat things; in fact, I've spent thousands on this one over the
> years and it proceeds to perform exceedingly worse with each bit of
> attention. It runs super slow, even after running Mac Tune Up, Maintenance,
> and others, and upgrading to 16GB of ram. Its latest problem is that it
> overheats and just cuts off (goes to sleep) after the slightest bit of work
> like checking email. I know it needs cleaning, and I've attempted to clean it
> several times in the past. I remove the side panel and the Plexiglas shield.
> I remove the dual fan assembly, I simply can not get past this point in
> disassembly to get to where all the dust, dirt and gunk must surely reside. I
> just have tried to clean out all that I could get to. Still, it overheats and
> it is as noisy as can possibly be.
>
> I'll admit that I don't know much... that's rather obvious, but can someone
> address my issues? Thank you.

They're not too hard to take apart as far as the air intake goes the grills are
pretty large and easy to get at, usually they can get clogged near the bottom
of the machine. you can use one of those thin plastic drain cleaning strips to
slide in all the inacssesable places and break up the matting then a vacuum or
air compressor will get it out.

It sounds like maybe you have some component seating problems. I would get some
contact cleaner and start by reseating the RAM and any of the cables that you
can get to. I have an air compressor. a small one that I use to keep all the
dust out of my machines. Also I would look for a ASD to see if there is a fan
calibration issue on your model.

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda USA
Sent from my MBP