On May 25, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Larry Stotler wrote:

> Found this on eBay recently:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320531235320&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
>
> Kinda pricy, but an interesting upgrade I think I've seen before.
> Does anyone have any experience with this?  Under OS @ or Linux?

Look more closely, this is NOT for a B&W, but is a processor slot upgrade for
the *Beige* G3's.

>  Was
> wondering how well the B&W was able to run 2 processors compared to
> say a dual processor G4 system?

Well, here's the Standard LEM Car Analogy:

Imagine a Bugatti Veyron, one of the worlds fastest production cars, capable of
a 250 mph top speed.

Now take out the transmission and replace it with one from a John Deere riding
mower (albeit a special one, made of unobtanium that wouldn't turn into
powdered metal when you tapped the accelerator :-)

You have two 500MHZ processors choked down by a 40 MHz bus. (iirc, maybe it' a
50 MHZ, it's been a long time since I looked at the beige specs...)

It's fast but not nearly as fast as it's specs would indicate.

The standard supported OSX on that one, 10.2 won't take too much advantage of
the dual processors, so one will be idling almost all the time....the
multiprocessor code in OSX didn't start to reach maturity until 10.4.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona