On May 25, 11:53 am, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:
> Look more closely, this is NOT for a B&W, but is a processor slot upgrade for
> the *Beige* G3's.

Actually, it is a ZIF upgrade.  I put Beige instead of B&W though.
Good catch.

> Well, here's the Standard LEM Car Analogy:
> Imagine a Bugatti Veyron, one of the worlds fastest production cars, capable
> of a 250 mph top speed.
> Now take out the transmission and replace it with one from a John Deere
> riding mower (albeit a special one, made of unobtanium that wouldn't turn
> into powdered metal when you tapped the accelerator :-)

Yeah, I know.  It's more of a nostaliga interest thing than anything
else.

> You have two 500MHZ processors choked down by a 40 MHz bus. (iirc, maybe it'
> a 50 MHZ, it's been a long time since I looked at the beige specs...)
> It's fast but not nearly as fast as it's specs would indicate.

Actually, the Beige had a 66Mhz bus.  The earlier PCI versions have
the 40-50Mhz buses. The FSB can be a limiting factor on some things.
The main thing is what you are doing.  If the dataset fits into the
cache than it's fast.  If it's something like encoding a movie, where
you need to move the data in and out fast, it will be a dog.  My
G4/700 upgraded 9600 sucks at video encoding but does just fine
browsing the web and word processing.

> The standard supported OSX on that one, 10.2 won't take too much advantage of
> the dual processors, so one will be idling almost all the time....the
> multiprocessor code in OSX didn't start to reach maturity until 10.4.

That's what I was wondering.  I've run linux for about 11 years, so I
know how much better it's SMP support has been vs Windows and MacOS.