On 6/17/10 1:48 AM, James Therrault wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 12:10 AM, Mark Sokolovsky wrote:

*snip*

>> failure until yesterday. I took it apart, and the entire disk was
>> charred/scratched inside. How wonderful? Next time i'll think twice
>> before buying Hard drives from Maxtor.

Pics!  Pics!  (I collect pictures of dead and fried kit.  It amuses me
for some reason)

> Didn't Maxtor go belly up a few years back?

No, they were bought by Seagate for their 'value line' or some such
usage, not that I see any reference to the brand on the Seagate web site.

Personal theory is that Seagate bought the company and buried the brand
when they found out that their rep was roughly equivalent to e Machines
or the old Packard Bell.