> > Software RAID works on any matched pair of HDs,  internal, external,
> > whatever you have. Mirroring is mirroring, so this  means if you screw
> > up the software so that it won't boot, the "mirror"  will also be
> > screwed up.
>
> This should not be an issue, as the  only thing on the mirrors will be
> the iTunes music folder (assuming iTunes  still let's one choose the
> location.)  The OS and apps will still be on  the Mini's internal
> drive, and if it gets hosed, it is easily restored from  the original
> disks.
>
> >Apple's official solution to backup is Time  Machine, which
> > has the advantage of "going backwards in time" to get  to a state that
> > was known good. Theoretically this makes a Time  Machine backup more
> > robust and preferable to a mirror RAID backup.  Time Machine requires
> > Leopard.
>
> Thank you for the  information.   I will want to come up with some
> removable back up  strategy as well, but Time Machine isn't it.  I'm
> considering BDR.   The blanks are down to about $1 each now.   DVDR is
> still cheaper in  $/GB, but one needs about six times as many disks.
> Sigh.  I *liked* DAT,  but the capacity is just too small now and the
> newer higher capacity stuff is  too expensive still.

Just to add to what Kris and Dan has said  a mirror RAID only backs up a
hardware failure. I learned the hard way back in the days of OS 8 & 9 that if
your HDD directory gets hosed you got big problems with both drives.
Fortunately
I had a current third backup and just lost more time than data. Still a big PIA.

Perhaps rather than a  BDR,  just add another external HDD you could attach
only
when you need to back up your iTunes folder. Then you could use SuperDuper! or
CCC to do incremental backups --very fast.

This what I do but I have a relatively small iTunes folder --glen