----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Change machine specific installer requirements
Date:    Dienstag 20 Juli 2010N
From:    Dan <dantear...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> So you have a machine with no media... What are your options?

Not just one…
I got:
- G3 B&W “Yosemite” @ 350 MHz
- G4 AGP @ 400 MHz (now upgraded to Dual-450 MHz)
- G4 AGP (what I believed to be a GE, but actually is an AGP) @ 1.4 GHz
- G4 QS (original) @ 733 MHz (now upgraded to Dual-800 MHz)
- G4 MDD @ Dual-1.0 GHz (now upgraded to Dual-1.42 GHz)
- G5 “Late 2005” Dual-Core 2.0 GHz

All the G4s and the G3 I recieved literally out of the trash. The G3 was such
an example. The G4s where in good working oder, but all of them without
accessories like manual or discs.

The G5 was bought by me and it came in the original packing, including all
accessories.

Now, the software. I bought:
- Mac OS X 10.3 + 10.4 Upgrade + Mac OS 9.2.2 (eMac version) at fastmac.com
- Mac OS X 10.2 on eBay (retail, all in the original box, looks very okay).
- Mac OS X 10.5.4 family version (5 licenses), new.
- Mac OS 9.0.4 (“Power Mac G4” – but which one?) on eBay (only the discs).

Dispite selecting “german version” for Mac OS 9.2.2 from fastmac.com, I
recieved the english version. Well, I didn't complain, since fastmac is in the
U.S. and I'm in Europe. It wouldn't have been worth the effort.

Mac OS 9.0.4 is also the english version.

Mac OS X 10.2 is retail, so I can install it on any *one* Mac I desire.
Mac OS X 10.3 from fastmac.com is all grey discs, with “eMac” written on them.
The Tiger upgrade has “CPU Drop In DVD” written on it. So I can install 10.3
*or* 10.4 on any *one* Mac I desire, although I'm not 100% sure about this due
to the grey discs and the “eMac” labelling. But since I bought it from
fastmac.com!?!? So I run 10.4 on my G3 B&W Yosemite 350 MHz and I have a legal
feeling about it.

I can install 10.5 on five Macs, so I did that. Works well on the G4 AGP with
Dual-450 MHz CPU, but not very well on single 400 MHz CPU (which I don't use
anymore, since all are upgraded now except the G3, which doesn't run 10.5
anyways).

I still don't have a german version of Mac OS 9 for my Macs.

Original Mac OS versions:
* Power Mac G4 B&W 350 MHz: Mac OS 8.5.1 or 8.6
* Power Mac G4 AGP 400 MHz: Mac OS 8.6
* Power Mac G4 QS 733 MHz: Mac OS 9.2 + Mac OS X 10.0
* Power Mac G4 MDD Dual-1.0 GHz: Mac OS 9.2.2 + Mac OS X 10.2

So: I could install Mac OS 9.2 on the QS (because it is licensed so). Or I
could install my retail copy of Mac OS X 10.2 on the G4 MDD *additionally* to
an other Mac, since the MDD includes the license for 10.2 anyway.

> The "official" thing to do would be to contact Apple and ask for
> replacement media.  They have 'em!  Ya just gotta pay for shipping.

I will try that. It will be fun, I'll have them combine the shippment costs to
one package for all my lost media. Only, I seriously doupt that Apple has
original media laying around for people like me.

> Or, if you already have a like machine, you could use its media.

Did that as good as I could, but mostly I'm running 10.5 on machines that cope
with it.

> Then there are the gray market "pulls"...  If someone has a dead Mac,
> that they're parting out... it's a bit of a gray area, but semi-legal
> to purchase that dead Mac's media for your like-mac.  The key here is
> that Apple doesn't pursue these cases...

Had no lock with that. Especially Mac OS 9 and prior is hard the get in the
German language.

As always,
many thanks.

Cheers,