A stock G5 running 10.5 should sleep just fine. My G5 1.8 MHz DP would
randomly wake up from sleep until I got rid of my Microsoft Wireless
DEsktop keyboard and mouse. I replaced it with a Logitech and sleep
has worked fine ever since. I would also check 3rd party USB PCI cards
and APC UPS units, which are known to cause sleep issues.