On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Kevin Barth <godai....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Eric Herbert
> <goo...@hillcotechnology.com>wrote:
>

>> > OK, first off THANKS for the cleaners for my CD-ROM and DVD Player!
>> >
>> > Now, I ran the one for the CD-ROM unit and then stuck that CD-ROM back
>> in and
>> > it STILL asks me to choose between Ignore and Eject.
>> > I believe I did look at this CD-ROM on my old Smurf (B&W G3) and it is
>> possible
>> > I saw it on the old 8600/200
>>
>> When it's asking if you want to Initialize, Ignore, or Eject, it means
>> that either there is no data on the disc (never was burned), or if there is
>> data on the disc, it's in a format the computer flat out doesn't understand
>> is actually data (a corrupted or incomplete burn).  If the drive is reading
>> other discs normally, it's the disc, not the drive.
>>

> Yes, but if I understand what he's saying, the same disc that won't read on
> his QS is read properly on other machines, which means the disc isn't the
> problem.

I will stick the CD in my DVD player and see if it sees it.
My QS did see my OS 9.1 CD-ROM (I store it in my 8600/200 which is NOT fired
up right now)

> Here are the steps I would take (and indeed, did take...the optical drive
> on my QS went about 8 months ago).  You may have done some or all of them
> already:
>
> 1) Clean drive.   You might want to do this step 2 or 3 times, since it
> takes more than one cycle sometimes.
> 2) Open the QS, disconnect and reconnect the data cable.
> 3) Replace the data cable.  This one can get a little hairy since the MOBO
> connector for the data cable is not easily accessible without some system
> breakdown.  So you might want to skip this and go directly to
> 4) Replace the drive.   ATAPI DVD-ROM drives are dirt cheap, and the only
> thing close to being difficult about the process is removing the front bezel
> from the drive.
>
> If none of these work, your cable and/or controller might have gone.  There
> are secondary ATAPI controller cards which might be an option if your PCI
> slot is free.  If not, you might want to consider an external Firewire
> drive.
>
> --

Steve Conrad
Henrietta, MO 64036

"The time has come for mankind to grow up and leave its cradle behind; to go
forth and claim our place in outer space."
                   - Capt. Henry Gloval

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")