I have a late G5 2.3 dual-core Power Mac that has run 24/7 since I bought it
new in December 2005. The only enhancement it received was a 2nd 250 GB HDD and
4 GB of RAM. A month or 2 ago it died instantly (there was a gunshot like
"pop", the screen went black and the power light was out 2 seconds later when I
looked, and the ensuing stench made me not try a restart). My meager training
screamed "power supply", but that's just my uneducated guess. Googling revealed
a fault in my power supply that was covered by Apple until January 2010, and a
call to Apple Care resulted in an "I'm sorry" determination of coverage.
Apparently the purchase of $7500 of Apple products (w/o Apple Care purchases)
in the last 8 years doesn't qualify me for any "special" consideration. OK. My
"local" (4 hr return trip) Apple Store was unwilling to let me discuss anything
with a "genius" and just wanted me to bring it in. The closest Apple certified
repair center (about the same distance) quoted a flat labor fee of $95 and a
"new" Apple part cost of $400(!?). A relative Apple tech who works for a WA
State university said an exchange from Apple would be $150, so I presume this
would be a refurbished unit.

My questions to anyone out there are:
1. Has anyone else with the latest 1000 watt power supply had a failure on the
G5 PM?
2. If this power supply has failed (seems likely to me), what are the odds that
logic board, drives, memory, etc are OK? I used an external FW drive and it
works fine w/my G4 PM (saved my bacon!!).
3. Anyone have an opinion, for my purposes, whether I'd be better served by an
Apple store or a cooperative 3rd party?

I want my beloved child back! Any help/advice from those who know better than I
would be MOST appreciated! 8^)

TIA

- Peter

G5 2.3 dual-core, 4 GB RAM, 20" Acer LCD, 250 x2 HDD running SoftRaid (mirror)
running Tiger 10.4.11.
G4 MDD 1.0 dual "wind tunnel", 320+80+80 HDD running Tiger 10.4.11.