On Oct 31, 2010, at 2:24 PM, Doug McNutt wrote:

> At 21:29 -0400 10/30/10, Kevin Barth wrote:
> All generators are NOT created equal.  Some produce MUCH cleaner output than
> others.  Spikes and surges can destroy sensitive electronics.  Square
> Wave-producing generators may power lights and freezers just fine, but they
> will not work well with computers.
>
> Square wave producing inverters, electronic devices that convert DC to AC are
> common.  Generators or alternators that generate electricity from a moving
> shaft driven by some kind of engine just don't do that. Perhaps you're
> thinking about a solar panel that converts DC to AC using an inverter.
>
> But the real point is that  computers of the G4 time period will run fine on
> 160 volts or so DC of either polarity, let alone square waves. Really old
> stuff, think Apple II, used input power transformers and 60 Hz fans which do
> demand AC power.

Uh, Apple ][s used a switching power supply.  It was one of the first personal
computers to do so.  And it had no fan, AC or DC.

But you are right that the average switching power supply is rather insensitive
to the power feeding it.  In general they are insensitive to electrical noise.
They are more of a source of noise rather than being sensitive to it.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting