On Oct 30, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Tina K. wrote:

> On 2010/10/30 18:43, Cliff Rediger so eloquently wrote:
>> not knowing too much about electricity 800 watts seems like a lot for
>> our use.
>> How much juice does a mac mini and external HD pull?
>
> My Power Mac draws about 500 watts, a Mac Mini is going to use significantly
> less, and external HDDs use very little. 800 watts is more than enough for
> those two devices.

It's unlikely your PM draws 500 W.  It's power supply is rated for around that
much but actual use is rarely even close to that.  I haven't tested any PM G4
but the PM G3 B&W I tested drew 67 W.

It would be hard to draw 500W, even with the monitor running off the PM's power
supply.

> Tina
>
> --
>
> iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64MB DDR Ubuntu 10.10
>
> Power Mac June 04 2GHz G5DP 8GB RAM GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL 256MB Leopard
> 10.5.8
>
> PowerBook G4 15" HiRes DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB DDR Leopard
> 10.5.8

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting