On Nov 10, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

The first link I sent was for a dual-link one. More expensive. $145, but it does what you want

"The Atlona AT-DP400 is a DVI to Mini DisplayPort converter designed to convert every Mac or PC computer's with a dual link DVI output to a digital signal over a Mini DisplayPort connector. The AT-DP400 is specifically designed to work with iMac 27" and 27" LED which can support resolutions up to 2560x1440. "

<http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered.html >

Do I actually need 10.6 to use the new 27" LED Apple Cinema Display?

Perhaps the Dell UltraSharpTM U2711 27”W would be more compatible, although not LED backlit, it has many connectors, don't think I would need an adapter:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1

Although Apple's design makes me drool, again ... at least for the iMac 27" I saw at BestBuy last night ...