After several years of daily use, my trusty G5 2.0 is headed for the
boneyard--it's showing the symptoms of power-supply failure. So rather
than muck around in its innards trying to revive it, which I don't
have either the time or experience to do, I'm looking for a
replacement, probably off Ebay. I'd like a quicker Mac anyway, and
this is my excuse to get one.

The Question: which Mac to replace it with? I don't have the cash for
a brand new one, so should I get another G5, only a later and better
one? Or should I step up to a used Intel Mac?

I've always been impressed with the level of expertise and wisdom
shown by the participants of this board, so I'm putting it up to you
guys.

I'm running Leopard 10.5 and Final Cut Pro 5, Adobe CS2 which includes
Photoshop 9 and InDesign 4, and various other apps that work great
with 10.5. I don't have a lot of money for updating my software,
especially Final Cut, so should I stick with 10.5, or go for an Intel
Mac that can run 10.6? If I use 10.6, will all these old apps of mine
continue to work with it, or is it necessary to upgrade all the
software to work with an Intel-based Mac? These are things I don't
know.

If I stick with a G5, I'd like to get a faster one than my 2.0 GHz DP,
just to reduce all those long rendering times in Final Cut a little.
So if I go for a faster G5, which is the best model to look for? Or
rather, which are the ones NOT to look for, such as those famously
leaky liquid-cooled ones?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have on which Mac I should
get before I go hunting for one on Ebay.