Thanks much, everybody. Well, you've convinced me that I need to move
up into the Intel world for the sort of work I do, but I think I'll
have to get a tower rather than an iMac or Mini, because I'd like to
just switch my two 1 TB hard drives from the G5 into the new machine,
and I'd also like to keep using two big monitors. I guess I'm a tower
man, then.

As to the software issues, what if I got an Intel Mac Pro of some
flavor and just stayed in 10.5 with it, in case there might be
problems with some of my old software in Snow Leopard? I could work my
way up to 10.6 gradually.

Being a technology ignoramus, I don't know one type of Intel Mac Pro
from another; Bruce up above mentions a "second generation" of them,
and I don't know from this Core Duo/Core 2 duo 32/64 bit processor
stuff.

But it appears from what you all say that I'd be best off with a
"second generation" 64-bit Core 2 Duo Mac Pro. My budget is around
$1000, maybe a bit more. Can anyone suggest a used model of Mac Pro
that fits this bill, and my (dollar) bills? Or am I asking for too
much for the money?

Tom