This is a 1 TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external hard drive that I've had
for maybe a year and a half. Today its icon just vanished off the
desktop. The drive is still running, at least when I touch it I can
feel the disk spinning inside, the case is warm, and the blue power
light is lit. The drive seems fully alive, except that the computer
can't see it anymore.

I've tried both a FW400 and a FW800 cable to the G5 Mac, shutting down
and restarting the computer, plugging the drive's cable into both the
back and the front of the computer, but no matter what I do, the drive
never shows up on the desktop. Disk Utility can't find it either.

Naturally, I had some things on this drive that weren't backed up,
because my 2TB Time Machine external backup isn't large enough to back
up both this external drive and both the 1TB internal drives in the
G5. So, sincis the external drive was fairly new, and reliable I
thought, I wasn't backing it up. Mistake! Don't trust ANY drive, new
or old!

If I ever get this drive to show up again, I'm going to get the data
off it and then immediately replace it with TWO new drives, one for
the data, and the second one just to BACK UP the data.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any ideas how I might get this drive to
reappear on the desktop, so I can quickly rescue the data I want to
save? Didn't I read something once about sticking a dead drive in the
freezer for a while and trying it cold?

Tom