We have two G5s in our family. I have one, and I just got my wife one,
too, off Ebay. My G5 had a 23-inch Apple Cinema Display (the old type
with the acrylic plastic frame and legs) connected to it for the last
couple of years and it worked fine. My G5 has the GeForce 6600 video
card with 256 MB of VRAM. It gave me a choice of 17 different
resolutions on that big monitor, up to 1920 X 1200.

I gave the Cinema Display to my wife to use with her "new" G5. Hers
came with the ATI Radeon 9600 video card, which also has 256 MB of
VRAM. However, her G5 is only offering her one resolution: 1920 X
1200. Furthermore, big blocks of pixels, which look like big single
megapixels about an eighth of inch square, appear at random all over
the screen of the display, which never happened when it was connected
to my G5. All it takes to get rid of one of these "giant pixels" is to
swipe the cursor across it and it vanishes, but it's a real nuisance.
They pop up within windows, within dialogue boxes, everywhere.

My question is, does this sound like a defective video card in her
machine? The person who sold us the G5 on Ebay said that this card
could drive a 30-inch Apple display. All I can say is, it isn't
working so well with this 23-incher.

I want to get rid of these sprinklings of "giant pixels" on her screen
and also give her a choice of more resolutions. Should I get a new
video card for her G5? If so, what would be a good card to look for?

Tom