At 8:53 AM -0500 12/24/2010, Lawrence David Eden wrote:
iMac G5
OS 10.4.11
Canon Pixma MX300.

The iMac sees the new printer and it is listed as being connected to the Mac via direct USB in System Profiler

Good.

but the iMac can't find the driver that the Canon tech and I installed and re-installed.

You installed this driver?
"Printer Driver for OSX (6.9.3)"
<http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010490.asp>

I suspect that the problem is caused by some sort of conflict in the G5, but I don't know how to fix it. Can any of you suggest a cure?

After installing that driver package, and connecting the printer, if you go into any app and do a print command, does the printer show up at all in the list, even under Bonjour?

If you try to add the printer from the system preferences, what exactly happens? Do any Canon printers show up in the driver list?

I have run Disk Warrior, Disk Tools, repaired permissions, zapped PRAM, reset NVRAM and defaults and tried using a different USB port and cable. No problems were discovered....

None of the above are even appropriate, except repairing permissions. The latter being worth trying because it's possible that Canon's installer farked things on the way in.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.