At 6:56 AM -0800 2/4/2011, John Carmonne wrote:
I'm wondering if someone has subscribed to one of the "Cloud Services" for their PPC Mac's and in what capacity.

Personally, I like Dropbox because of its automatic sync type features. But there are other forms of cloud storage available - that smell like a remotely mounted disk volume, for example, for a price.

What I'd like to know is if these services can replace having multiple HDD's to transfer files such as iTunes and iPhoto libraries, or would it be too slow. Also could I store a CCC's on the Cloud?

First, read the "How to make a solid Mac backup plan" thread on the LEM iMac list.

Reliability and security issues aside... The cloud services are no faster than your internet connection, and often much slower. (eg: Amazon's S3 cloud was under attack a while ago, so throughput to/from it dropped from Mbps to low Kbps).

If you were willing to pay for that much storage, yes you could keep entire disk images, libraries, etc there. I really don't recommend it tho. IMO it seems dumb to pay their prices when HDs are so inexpensive.

My G5 PM has 5 HDD's and I'd like to retire a lot of external drives, they get a little hard to keep track of and never seem to be big enough.:-)

But they're physically in your possesssssion and you can do whatever you need to maintain them without depending on the largess of a 3rd party.

Are these individual drives or a raid array?

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.