Realtek is perhaps the only manufacturer which has developed OS 9 drivers
for its 10/100/1000 card.

You have to dig really deeply to find those drivers, however.

Fortunately, OHS supplied the OS 9 drivers for me.

Anyway, the Realtek 8169 card is supported OOTB by MacOS from 10.2 on, so
I really wonder why Realtek bothered developing a driver for 10.3 and
10.4/10.5.

All the stranger that the card isn't working with Panther, and only with Panther, and didn't from the get-go. What would interfere with OOTB support? I don't think I tried connecting before installing the driver from the OHS CD-ROM, but then again, why would I have, not knowing about the OOTB support?

The following might hold a clue for someone who can decipher it:

When Tiger 10.4.11 starts up, the small startup window shows "Starting Mac OS X." And that's it, before the login screen appears very quickly.

When Panther 10.3.9 starts up, the small startup window is blank for a couple seconds. Then (with some variation between testing instances):

(With ethernet cable in PCI card jack):

Welcome to Macintosh
Checking disks
Waiting for Network Initialization
Starting Printing Services
Waiting for Network Extensions
(Login window appears)
(Software Update and Safari unable to connect)

(With ethernet cable in built-in ethernet jack):

(indecipherable blur)
Starting Printing Services
Waiting for Network Extensions
Waiting for Network Extensions
(Login window appears)
(Software Update and Safari able to connect)

I don't believe I've seen much or any of this during a startup before with any OS of mine, although it's been over 3 years since I used Panther or had it installed at all. The appearance of "Printing" seems suspicious. Part of the bloated installation I performed was scads of unneccesary printer drivers. I'm haunted by the specter of possibly having to write a report in Simplified Chinese on my work in Xcode to send to a Lexmark printer and being unable to. There's nothing at all complicated about my printing setup. HP DeskJet 935C connected to a USB hub connected to the computer. Nothing shared or Internet about it.

How might I inquire as to the status of the PCI ethernet card and its drivers through Terminal? Is looking at a log (which log?) in Console after I start Panther likely to shed any light on the situation?

Sean