> How might I inquire as to the status of the PCI ethernet card and its
> drivers through Terminal? Is looking at a log (which log?) in Console
> after I start Panther likely to shed any light on the situation?

By using I/O Registry Explorer, part of the X11 stuff, and downloadable
from Apple's web site, or elsewhere.

An 8169 is 0x8169, 0x10ec.

0x10ec represents Realtek (not assigned by Realtek ... incredibly enough,
Intel is 0x8086 in this position).

0x8169 represents the PCI card's chip which, in some early models, is on
the motherboard.

The much more recent PCI-e gigabit E-net from Realtek is 0x8168, 0x10ec.