Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your input. I tried to remove the board, removed the
heatsink and the one screw that is supposed to hold the mobo down and
tried to slide the board out. It wouldn't budge so I left everything
in place and only replaced the PSU and the fans, the main fan I have
is a very quiet German Papst fan.

All is working again and the Finder and startup seem a little faster
but not much. It looks like the implementation of the second processor
is not very good. I'm running the latest Tiger version mostly - if I
want to use "heritage" Adobe apps I have to switch back to good ole
Panther.

Best regards, Jörg.