At 1:03 PM -0500 3/5/2011, M Christol wrote:
I was getting hangs & lags when loading sites with Safari. It was suggested that I put OpenDNS addresses in my network settings to fix the problem. It worked. Problem with that, tho, is that every so often OpenDNS blocks all sorts of stuff. YouTube, Vimeo PhotoBucket, Flickr, FaceBook, MySpace, PirateBay, anything with naked people..... Taking out the OpenDNS addresses fixes that but now I am back to the hangs & lags.

Sounds like your ISP-assigned domain name servers are hurting. Notify them, so they can fix it!

In the mean time, here are some alternatives: Google's public DNS is at 8.8.8.8. Then there's the big ones on Level 3's backbone, at 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2 (my favs).

Note that using a 3rd party / non-local dns can be an issue for services like YouTube sometimes. That's because it blows the geo-location mechanisms, which normally would make the caching services hit you from more local farms instead of remote ones.

You can test your dns by issuing some dig commands in Terminal.

eg:
dig www.google.com
dig @208.67.220.220 www.google.com
dig @8.8.8.8 www.google.com

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.