At 5:50 PM -0700 3/5/2011, Brielle Bruns wrote:
On 3/5/11 5:28 PM, Dan wrote:
At 6:26 PM -0500 3/5/2011, M Christol wrote:
Was / am using (per Fuse instructions)
216.68.4.10

Broken.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-APPLE-P2 <<>> @216.68.4.10 www.google.com
[snip]
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com. IN A
;; Query time: 46 msec
;; SERVER: 216.68.4.10#53(216.68.4.10)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 5 19:25:33 2011
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 32

Notice that there's no answer section above! Notify your ISP of this
failure.

Except that if your not on a network that fuse considers 'trusted' for DNS queries your not going to get anything out of it. Name servers these days for caching tend to only actually answer requests made by networks run by the network owner.

For example, try that query against 205.233.35.37 (one of my caching servers). Because your not on one of my networks, you'll not get an actual answer from it. Some server types will return REFUSED, others will return nothing at all.

I have never seen a dns that gave a partial response as above, containing both the response header *and* a trailer , that actually meant that I should fark off because I'm not a valid user. There is a BIG difference between a lookup failure, such as seen, vs a connection refused error.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.